Amazon Web Services
Tiered object storage
Amazon S3 and Glacier offer cloud-based, affordable, unlimited capacity for storage from anywhere. Advanced
features include scalability, lifecycle management, encryption, and sharing. S3 is ideal for static files that
need to be retrieved from any location (PDFs, images, video, etc.). Glacier is archival storage, perfect for
grant compliance that reqires data retention.
How RC can help:
- Lower pricing - UVA has an Internet2 discount available for educational use. Contact us to create an account for you or your research project.
- Cost estimates - Cloud storage is not free. Consideration should be made to the size of your files and how often they will be retrieved. We can help estimate storage costs in AWS.
- Security - We can assist you in keeping your files private, or sharing with the appropriate parties. We can also help you understand encryption models available in S3/Glacier.
- Management - Automated lifecycle management is available in either service. We can help you set up policies to move data from S3 to Glacier after N days or years, or to delete after the appropriate length of time.
- Access - S3 and Glacier can be accessed via a web UI, command-line, or other third-party tools. RC can discuss the appropriate tools for your users.
- Training - Attend one of our free cloud workshops, or receive in-person training from our staff to understand additional features available.